Pan Island Link 1 (PIL 1)
Driving Towards a Modern Penang
The proposed PIL 1 highway will be a new 20 km highway to alleviate traffic congestion on the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu (LCE) Expressway and adjacent arterial roads. PIL 1 is strategically linked via its six interchanges to Gurney Expressway, the proposed third link, the proposed North-South Expressway (NSE) Link (bypass), First and the Second Bridges.
The PIL 1 highway will also feature eco-friendly designs such as an elevated highway consisting tunnel sections and a cable-stayed bridge to minimise social and environmental impact.
THROUGH PIL 1, WE CAN:
- Travel smoothly as traffic will be significantly lighter on LCE, Jalan Tun Dr Awang, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah and other adjacent arterial roads.
- Commute to work easily. Upon completion, high-density areas such as George Town, Paya Terubong, Bayan Baru, and Relau can bypass high-traffic locations.
- Increase productivity and personal time. Less time on the road means more time for family, work and leisure.
- 20km in length;
- Serves as the second north-south spine and provides an alternative to the congested Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway;
- 5 strategic interchanges connecting Gurney Expressway, Jalan Paya Terubong, Jalan Tun Dr Awang, the LCE, the First and Second Penang Bridges and the Penang International Airport;
- Will reduce north-south travel time by half an hour from the current 45 minutes to just 15 minutes;
- A dual three-lane highway purpose-built with limited points of access to ensure certainty in speed and travel time.