BUS RAPID TRANSIT (BRT)
Ongoing developments in Batu Kawan townships has intensified with the opening of the Penang Second Bridge. The proposed BRT system is to link the mixed industrial-commercial and residential townships to the nearest KTM station at Simpang Ampat and also the Raja Uda–Bkt Mertajam monorail which terminates at Permatang Tinggi.
The proposed BRT line can potentially be extended to other areas:
- From Permatang Tinggi northwards to Seberang Jaya to serve the Permatang Pauh and Bukit Minyak catchment (including Universiti Teknologi Mara or UITM and Politeknik SeberangPerai); and also interchange with the Raja Uda–Bukit Mertajam Monorail. Refer Map A
- From Batu Kawan southwards to Nibong Tebal to serve the planned townships at Byram Changkat and interchange with KTM Komuter at Nibong Tebal. Refer Map B
Similarly, these identified transit corridors can be reserved as part of the State’s planning process.
Permatang Tinggi-Batu Kawan Line
- Links the mixed industrial-commercial and residential townships to the nearest KTM station in Simpang Ampat and the Raja Uda-Bkt Mertajam monorail line;
- 14km in length,
- 15 stations
- Can potentially extend to:
- From Permatang Tinggi to Seberang Jaya
- From Batu Kawan to Nibong Tebal