PTMP - an Inclusive Transport System for Penang
The Penang Transport Master Plan (PTMP) is a comprehensive, efficient and well-connected transport strategy; and will set the framework for an integrated and modern transport system on both land and sea for the benefit of the people of Penang.
It is based on feasibility studies with engineering design that determine constructability, cost benefit studies that determine economic viability, and a funding model that includes economic and social benefit assessments.
This transport blueprint comprises various transportation systems and services such as an elevated light rail transit (LRT), bus rapid transit (BRT), tram, taxi, e-hailing, ferry and water taxi.
The master plan aims to achieve a public:private transport modal share of 40:60 by the year 2030.
Other initiatives of PTMP is to improve road network and connectivity. The priority components to be delivered under PTMP are the Bayan Lepas LRT (BL LRT), the Pan Island Link 1 (PIL 1) highway and Package 2: Bandar Baru Ayer Itam – Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu Expressway by-pass.
THROUGH PTMP, WE CAN:
- Mitigate worsening congestion
- Enhance accessibility and connectivity to move people around with alternative modes of transportation
- Improve our standard of living, liveability and productivity
- Enable sustainable growth of Penang’s economic engines, such as the E & E and services sectors
- Enhance Penang’s appeal as an ideal business and tourism destination
- Address the shortage of developable land, namely for affordable housing
- Reignite interests in our local culture and heritage to strengthen the “muhibbah” spirit